Previously we talked about the different skin types, how to determine skin type, and build a basic skincare routine. Today, we will discuss oily and/or acne-prone skin, and what ingredients work best.
Oily skin produces excess sebum and generally appears thick and shiny. It is prone to acne as the pores get enlarged and clogged. People with mild acne usually suffer from comedones (whiteheads and blackheads). Likewise, people with moderate to severe acne suffer from papules and pustules.
These are the general causes of acne. Acne can also be the result of hormone imbalance, in which case you must consult a doctor.
Types of Acne
Acne comes in various forms, it can be inflammatory and/or non-inflammatory. However, if you have severe acne in the form of cysts or nodules, it is recommended to see a dermatologist.
Blackheads are bumps that appear on the skin due to blocked hair follicles. Ingredients like Salicylic Acid, Kaolin Clay and Alpha Hydroxy Acids work great at eliminating them.
Whiteheads are formed when oil, dirt and dead skin cells get trapped in the pores. Ingredients like Salicylic Acid, Sulfur and AHA’s are useful in this case.
Papules are red pimples without pus, whereas Pustules are red pimples with yellow or white pus. Use ingredients like Salicylic Acid, Sulfur, Benzoyl Peroxide, and Zinc Oxide to treat them.
Cysts are sensitive, inflamed pimples with fluids in them, whereas Nodules are defined as the growth of abnormal tissues, these usually appear in the deepest layers of the skin. In cases like these, it is good to see a dermatologist. However ingredients like Salicylic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, Retinoids*, etc. work well for them.
Let’s learn more about ingredients and how to target acne.
Ingredients That Work for Acne
Lifestyle change is paramount. Choosing the right ingredients is important, as it targets your skin topically. Above all, a proper diet, sleep pattern, can make huge differences.
Salicylic Acid (BHA) exfoliates the skin, combats acne, reduces excess sebum and blemishes. Therefore, becoming an excellent choice for oily and/or acne-prone skin.
Benzoyl Peroxide removes excess oil and exfoliates dead skin cells. It can also cause the skin to dry and peel off, along with discolouration.
Tea Tree Oil has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, thus calming acne.
Sulfur helps decrease excess oil and also exfoliates dead skin cells.
Niacinamide regulates oil, protects against sun damage, treats hyperpigmentation, minimizes pore appearance and acne. Therefore becoming one of the favourite ingredients for most people.
Azelaic Acid reduces inflammation, clears pores, and encourages cell turnover. Moreover, it is one of those ingredients that are safe to use during pregnancy.
Glycolic Acid (AHA) is a great exfoliator. Not only does it remove the outermost layer of dead cells, but it also reveals brighter fresher skin.
Hyaluronic Acid retains moisture in the skin. It also increases cell production.
Build A Routine
Now that you know the different types of acne and which ingredient to go for. It is time to build a routine.
- Gel/foam-based cleanser
- Toner (optional)
- Gel/foam-based cleanser
- Toner (optional)
- Exfoliate once a week.
- Mask twice a week.
- In case of active acne, you can also spot treat it.
- You can also use facial oils.
Product Recommendations for Oily Acne Prone Skin
Here’s a list of products that I have used and it worked really well for me. In addition to these, you could check more products in the market that targets your concern.
Disclaimer: Each skin type is different and what works for one may not work for you.
- CosRx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser (use code KHADIJA for 10% off)
- Oleum Cottage African Cleansing Potion (currently at 30% off)
- Dr Sheth’s ABC Cleanser (use code KHADIJA for 20% off)
- The Ordinary Glycolic 7% Toning Solution
- Dr Sheth’s Gulab & Glycolic Toner (use code KHADIJA for 20% off)
- Pure By Priyanka Green Tea Toner (use code KHADIJA15 for 15% off)
- CosRx Two in One Poreless
- Klairs Midnight Blue Calming Cream (use code KHADIJA for 10% off)
- Auli Lifestyle Hello Hydration (use code KHADIJA for % off)
- Vaunt BBFF (use code KHADIJA15 for 15% off)
- Re’Equil Oxybenzone and OMC Free Sunscreen
- Ultra Matte Dry-Touch Sunscreen Gel SPF 50 PA++++ (use code KHADIJA for 20% off))
- Re’Equil Sheer Zinc Tinted Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 PA+++ (use code KHADIJA for 20% off)
- Qurez Activated Charcoal Scrub Mask (use code KHADIJA for 15% off)
- Dr Sheth’s Basic Brightening Extra Gentle Daily Peel (use this once a week or once in two weeks, code KHADIJA for 20% off)
- Dr Sheth’s Clarifying Sulphur Face Mask (use code KHADIJA for 20% off)
- Dr Sheth’s Neem & BHA (Use code KHADIJA for 20% off)
- Plum Green Tea Clear Face Mask
- Vya Naturals Hyaluronic Acid Serum
- Klairs Rich Moist Soothing Serum (use code KHADIJA for 10% off)
- YBP Plant Remedy Face Oil (use code KHADIJA10 for 10% off)
- Disguise Cosmetics Rainbow Glow Oil (use code KHADIJA10 for 10% off)
This concludes Part 2 of the Ultimate Skincare Guide for Beginners in India. Read our segment on combination skin type here.
Very informative! ❤️?
Thank you. Do share it <3
It is written very well, got to know a lot of useful things. Thank you ?
Yaay! Thank you so much.
I have an oily skin which sometimes can become so rough. Can’t wait to try this out! Thank you
I know what you mean. Growing up all I thought skincare was is to strip off oil from the face. And that made things really difficult for my skin later on.